PDA

View Full Version : IRC Chat - Are we moving Servers?

asianmommy
08-19-2008, 03:55 AM
Hi, everyone - Please read every word of this post before you take any further steps in this decision-

I am one of the IRC channel mods for the devil's panties channel. I am helping my fellow moderators to make a decision. I'm going to devote some time to this because I want everyone's voices to be heard.

So, for those of you who chat in the IRC channel we have a question posed to us and that is "will we be moving servers?"

I have decided in the efforts of fairness to open up one day for everyone who has a strong opinion in this matter or a suggestion to send me a PM or an email stating these things.

1) What's your opinion -> move or don't move
-please no "don't care messages"

2) Why the move and where do you think we should move to (if you have a suggestion)? Also if you do have a suggestion as to where why do you think it's the best choice?

Now, these suggestions must be to me by 11:59PM Tuesday (I'm going to count your timezone as well)

Starting Wednesday I will open up this topic by offering the opinions and suggestions neutrally. The decision will be made by an overall sway of the masses and a vote by each of the moderators currently on the irchighway channel.

The decision will begin to take effect NEXT WEEK.

I have one final request: please don't reply to this post. I'd like to keep this post for my updates on this subject if possible. I know I don't have any power of command but I would like to ask that you refrain from turning this thread into an argument. If you do have questions or comments please PM me. Thanks!!!

asianmommy
08-20-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm going to post the responses here - without names and then link people to it from the chat - again please no responses in THIS thread!!!

I'm going to hold conversations during certain hours every day from now until Saturday: times to be posted here
Saturday after I have talked to EVERYONE who has been on I will get in contact with ALL of the moderators and a decision will be reached.

Finally, I'd like to keep all discussion of THIS TOPIC on track and civilized. No he said she said - talk about yourself please.

Alright - here are the responses I got:

asianmommy
08-20-2008, 03:32 PM
My reasons for wanting to leave:

Instability: The netsplits are getting to be more than just annoying. It disrupts conversations, and can be up to 10 minutes or more, before everyone is brought back onto the same net again.

Irritation: The way they handled their botnet attack was rather inappropriate for what was happening.

=================================

Pros for going to irc.aniverse (http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/Aniverse/).com:

Familiarity: This server is almost exactly like irc.irchighway.net, without the problems.

Increased traffic: There are other webcomic channels on this server that might open doorways to sharing members and increase traffic flow.

Stability: No net splits

--------------------------------------

Cons for moving irc.aniverse.com:

Similarity: This server is still limited to what channel operators can do.

==================================

Pros for going to irc.darkmyst.org:

Increased traffic: With this server you have the ability to add a gadget to a webpage, and link directly into the chat room, without having to download an IRC client.

Chat room control: Ops have more range to fine tune what can be done in a chat room, and what can not.

Stability: No net splits

-------------------------------------

Cons for going to irc.darkmyst.org

Unfamiliarity: This servers commands are slightly different than either of the other two.

Annoyances: It is possible (though I've been told it doesn't happen often, here) that gamers will pop into the channel and start trying to game, then get irritated and complain at us because we're a non-gaming room, on a gaming server.

asianmommy
08-20-2008, 03:34 PM
well, if it's 1 that works better & more efficiently, then yes, change it, but if/when it's changed, PLEASE, let me know...

------

I do think we should move, mainly because of the numerous and repeated problems we've had on this one.

Personally, I like the DarkMyst server, and Nimue was talking to some of the devs there to get a copy of the DP room set up. I know I can access DarkMyst from work, and I could not access the other DP chat. DarkMyst has a web app that could be put in a link on the forums themselves, and people could access chat from there...Which is how I can access it from work.

(Dark Myst) (http://www.darkmyst.org/)

asianmommy
08-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Cut from a chat

well, I know I am new around here, but in my experience running a server, opping, etc, this server blows chunks. if asked my preference for servers, I'd say aniverse because it is a webcomic and animation oriented server.
it is very stable. the various ops are pretty good about handling attacks, and other situations
Also, way things are setup, it is impossible for it to netsplit.
I've been an channel op and forum moderator for Applegeeks (which the official channel is on aniverse) for a while now, and so I know many of the staff, and know how things are run there.
If the majority decides to go elsewhere, it is no skin off my back.
It isn't like I am a server loyalist (I'm currently on 5 different networks)
I just think that aniverse is very stable, and would be the best fit

asianmommy
08-20-2008, 03:36 PM
The first Topic Talk time will be TONIGHT at 7 (EST) for exactly ONE HOUR

If you're worried that they're all going to be too early for you west coasters don't :p I'm going to have some LATE discussion times as well to include you :D I'm just not sure what I'm going to end up doing today and I figure 7 is a good time :P

Edit: 11:56 I was informed that aniverse and almost any irc server can be used with a web applet.

asianmommy
08-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Tonight's (8/21) topic talk will be at 11pm Eastern Time

Notes:
Aniverse might cause problems if you're an AOL user, let us know if you are.
DarkMyst isn't a java applet directly to the chat room (meaning they just pull up the page and they're in)

Chat Mods: Whenever you've made your decision on what you think send your vote to me. :D

Tomorrow's first topic talk will be at 8:30 am because I'm trying to catch a few of the non-American chatters. The second will be again at 11pm

asianmommy
08-25-2008, 05:59 PM
ATTENTION ATTENTION!!!

We're moving! We're going over to irc.aniverse.com the channel name is #Devil'sPanties

After collecting the votes from the mods (majority to Aniverse) and chatting with the channel peoples (i have logs if you want a peak) the decision has been made.

Starting tomorrow we will be be migrating over to aniverse leaving Angel'Devil to guide those who need it. As always you can chat with any of the Ops if you need help.

See you there!

domino
08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
uh....the bot isnt telling me how to get to teh new server...

help?

edit: DOH! i kept searching and opening random things and found it... :D

probably should change the sig lines to reflect the server move too guys!

Falconess
08-26-2008, 10:25 PM
If you check the first page of the "DP chat location and rules" thread, you'll see the correct server and channel name. I haven't set the bot up for help because there are so many things people could say that I didn't set up a trigger. I did, however, leave a link, when you first come into the room, to the mentioned thread. However, when I get home tonight, I think I can set it up so she says something when people enter the room. Since no one seems to read the topics or those notice messages (no offense meant dom, you're not the first to ask that question, or not notice that the link was there).

MNsane
09-01-2008, 08:51 PM
i THINK i'm in the right place, it says the server is aniverse channel is #devilspanties

KiaKat
09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Throw in an apostrophe.

Should be #devil'spanties.

MNsane
09-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Throw in an apostrophe.

Should be #devil'spanties.

thats where i am......wearing only a smile & jar of hot fudge sauce:dp::dp::dp:

Tipouf
09-03-2008, 08:00 PM
i found that i had to type in

#Devil'sPanties

to get the thing to work

KiaKat
09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Different programmes seem to have different requirements for capitalization/punctuation. I'm not really sure of the IRC protocols, though.

Falconess
09-03-2008, 08:25 PM
IRC, as a whole, requires the # before a channel name, as that's part of the channel's name. And same goes for the apostrophe. It's part of the channel's name. However, MNsane did make it into the room, thankfully. So far, we've managed to move everyone over rather smoothly. There are a couple who haven't visited yet, but I don't think that's due to not knowing how to navigate IRC. If it is, well, my PM is always open, as are these two threads.

I have fully closed down the old room, on the old server, as the only people making their way in there, were flyby's who aren't forumites.

Mike Taylor
10-17-2008, 04:12 PM
I am spambot. I need to be banned.

Fixed that for you, jackass.

metaal
02-01-2009, 12:50 PM
If people would like to, I can make a little manual with pictures here.
Download this, do that. Step by step.

here (http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/ircc-commands.html) is a quick reference for stuff that most of us already know, but what might be handy for the new people, such as:

/me pounces J
which will be printed out like

*Metaal pounces J

Raven-666
02-15-2009, 07:44 PM
ok, i can't even find the right site, let alone get onto the IRC channel,
annoyingly, i already use IRC on another forum, but i couldn't connect via that :confused:

KiaKat
02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
What client are you using?

Raven-666
02-15-2009, 08:08 PM
erm, what does that meen?
*is useless with technology* :(

Tipouf
02-15-2009, 08:14 PM
all i know is i had to download something... i use mIRC
it is free though after a while it says you have to register but that is a lie you just wait a bit and it lets you log on for free again like always

kia thinks you might be using some kind of java thing but that isn't what we use

beyond that i am no help cause i am a dork not a geek

KiaKat
02-15-2009, 08:17 PM
You mentioned in another thread that you use mIRC. That's your client.

I'm trying to find where someone talked about how to join the server and channel in mIRC, but can't seem to find the post itself.

Alternately, here (http://www.mirc.com/install.html). That shows you how to create a new connection to a server. In the spot that says 'servers' (expand out 'connect'), put in irc.aniverse.com.

Once you connect to aniverse, the channel name is #Devil'sPanties (make sure you have the # symbol and the ' or else it won't work). That should get you into the room.

Raven-666
02-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Erm, yeah, i use Java...
does that meen i'm screwed?:(

KiaKat
02-15-2009, 08:19 PM
We don't have a Java client for the room. I'm not even sure Aniverse offers it as an option.

Are you on Windows?

Raven-666
02-15-2009, 08:21 PM
yeah,
and damn

KiaKat
02-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Grab mIRC, then.

It's pretty easy to use, and the site is great about walking you through things.

Raven-666
02-15-2009, 08:29 PM
oh, i have mIRC,
i just has no idea how to use it.
I'm on another forum that uses Java for it's IRC room.

does anything i say make sense? :confused:

KiaKat
02-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Quite a bit.

Open up mIRC. Fill out the 'Server' part with the info I gave above. Make sure you have a nickname put in the 'Connections' part, and then connect. When you do, it will ask for the room you want to join. Again, put in the info I gave above, and you should be in.

Raven-666
02-15-2009, 08:47 PM
ok, mIRC is asking me for Description, IRC Server, Ports (it's got 6667 in there atm) and Group. Oh, and Password.

KiaKat
02-15-2009, 08:50 PM
irc server is irc.aniverse.com

You don't need the rest to be filled in.

Raven-666
02-15-2009, 08:51 PM
it's not working, i've put the server you said to put, but it's not letting me do anything without filling the other fields :confused:

KiaKat
02-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Hmm. As long as Server and Port are filled out, it should be fine.

Let me get Falconess...she's better with windows stuff than I am. It's been too long since I used the damned OS.

Falconess
02-15-2009, 09:17 PM
*Snags Raven and pulls him into a PM window* Gotcha

Queen_Sarah_Sunshine
02-15-2009, 09:21 PM
If your on Mirc you will need to change the server to aniverse..... then hit connect...... then it should let you choose a channel and you type in #Devil'sPanties

Raven-666
02-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Yay!!! I'm in chat!!!!!
XD

Tipouf
02-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Yay!!! I'm in chat!!!!!
XD

booo i missed you in the chat

Raven-666
02-17-2009, 12:39 AM
AARGH! NOO!! HELP! IT STOPPED WORKING!!
:cry:

Raven-666
02-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Never mind :D
fixed it!

Tipouf
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
wahhhhh!
damn irc is having issues with me wont let me do nothing only lets me on to old dp irc talky thing no matter which on i choose

gerrrr
i want my talky talkies

KiaKat
02-20-2009, 06:00 PM
That might be an Aniverse problem, not a problem with the room...

I'll check their alerts and let you know.

ETA: I can't even get into the forums...I'd definitely guess there's something wrong on their end.

ETA2: Yup. Their servers are down.

Falconess
02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Actually, we have about 14 people in the room, and people have been coming in all morning. I don't see a problem with the servers, maybe there's something else going on. We have people from different parts of the country coming in as well (and across the seas...yeah, didn't forget about you Raven), so I don't know what's up on your end. Tip, hit me up in PM and we'll see if something went wrong in your client.

KiaKat
02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Huh. I wonder what the problem was for me, then.

I'm going to go test and see if I can use a different client.

Just for research purposes, of course.

ZaldCaze
09-29-2012, 10:35 PM
any one still go to irc?

FYSavant
02-05-2013, 02:39 AM
I'm always in there, but its very very hit and miss with traffic.