PDA

View Full Version : Ragnarock (Dagohir) at Cooper's Lake?

freiman
08-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Guys,

I have just returned from the SCA's big event, Pennsic War.

I heard a persistent rumor that Dagohir was planning to hold their big function, called Ragnarock, at Cooper's Lake Campground. Cooper's lake is the site of Pennsic War.

Can anybody confirm or deny this rumor?

f

Wenchie
08-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Guys,

I have just returned from the SCA's big event, Pennsic War.

I heard a persistent rumor that Dagohir was planning to hold their big function, called Ragnarock, at Cooper's Lake Campground. Cooper's lake is the site of Pennsic War.

Can anybody confirm or deny this rumor?

f

You were here in the States for Pennsic?! I have a friend that was selling rattan there.

Dinias
08-12-2009, 01:20 AM
I've got a friend in Dagorhir, I'll ask her.

Dinias
08-12-2009, 02:34 AM
http://www.dagorhir.com/ragnarok/

According to this the war is over and happened in the usual location. I will still ask though, about next year.

freiman
09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I've been talking with some folks about this, and they did a walk around tour of the Cooper's Lake Site on July 17-19, and they were pleased at what they saw.

They are in negotiations for the north half of the site, which is (in my opinion) the less good half of the site, except that the castle is there. I can understand that. It's a pretty bitchin castle. The castle is of wood and earth construction, about 2 to 3 football fields across. It stands (I am guessing) about three and a half stories tall.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2452/thecastleatpennsic.jpg (http://img200.imageshack.us/i/thecastleatpennsic.jpg/)

Because the campsite is booked for the weekend of June 13-20 for a biker rally, the Ragnarok people are looking at holding the event on June 27-July 4, which I think would be good, as just about everybody in the country has the fourth off.

They do not appear to be ready to release any official information yet, but negotiations appear ongoing, and the site (Which is about an hour and a half to the east of the previous Spring Valley site) would allow the event to grow to ten times it's current size without cramping.

What I don't think the business people have considered yet is that there is a significant subset of people that will come just because it is a medieval event at Cooper's Lake. I have been attending Pennsic for 17 years, and I am seriously considering a transatlantic plane ticket just for Ragnarok.

This could take Rag from roughly 1500 people to roughly three thousand people in a single year. As you can imagine, this might stretch the organizational infrastructure.

Of course, I could go a little overboard. A relatively major SCA function (War of the Lillies) is held the week before the proposed new date, which would give me seven days of SCA, followed by a 13 hour drive (nothing) and then seven days of Ragnarok.

f

freiman
10-11-2009, 09:31 PM
The following information was released on the Dagorhir web boards.

Dagorhir,

Thanks for your patience, we can now announce some official information about Ragnarok XXV!

Ragnarok will be held at Cooper's Lake Campground in Slippery Rock, PA, the week of June 13th-20th, 2010. I realize these dates contradict earlier information I had received from the campground and passed on to you guys, but situations change, and in this case they changed for the better. The campground will be closed to mundanes for this week, giving us prime camping space, which should allow for 50-75% of camps to have access to power hookups, and 100% of camps to have running water. There will not be a noise restriction. It looks like the price increase will be minimal, hopefully only a $10 increase, with a possible discount for pre-registration. Final prices will be announced soon, and pre-reg will be open by December 1st. Merchant pre-registration information will be posted within the next month.

As mentioned before, Cooper's Lake does not allow pets at this event, and minors are only allowed if their parent or permanent legal guardian is on site. Early arrival to the event is difficult. There are two groups sharing Cooper's Lake the weekend before Rag, scheduled to leave on Sunday before we open troll. Ragnarok is allowed a small group to be onsite to set up, but your name must be included on a written list we will submit to the campground, and even then you will probably not be able to set up in your official campsite.

If you have to show up early to Cooper's Lake and are not on the approved list, it is possible to do so, but it will cost you $30/person/night ($15/minor) in addition to the normal Rag fees.

We have separate, easily accessible fields for day battles (with the permanent castle, of course) night battles (with two light towers this year) and woods battles. The walk from the furthest away campsite to the castle at the back of the battlefield will be 1/2 mile (same distance as black company to troll at the previous site), but if that is too much for you, there will be shuttles available from the campsites to the battlefield and back. We will have access to two permanent shower houses, total of 8-10 stalls for men and women. There are many other fantastic amenities and additions to next year's rag I will share later, as well as additional rules and regulations. I look forward to seeing all of you on the field, and off of it as well as we celebrate the silver anniversary of the end of the world.

Regards,
Tannhauser

f

kaiote
10-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Was at Coopers for an Amtgard event, Great Eastern, a couple years back.

Fighting on ones knees IN the castle sucks. The earthworks are built up using those rocks from under railroad tracks. They are the opposite of comfy.

It's a great site for larger events, but with events of less than 500, it seems REALLY spread out.

Funniest thing that happened to me that didnt involve sex on the castle..

I hiked the 20 minutes to the shop, got some coffee, and headed for the showers. Killed my coffee on the way, and was WIDE awake with scalded tongue. I go into the space between the hall and the shower itself, between the curtains, turn on the shower to get the hot running, and strip down. Somebody 3 showers down yells, and there is laughter, turns out that shower is right under the leaky 4 inch sewage pipe. Glad it wasn't me. So I'm washing my hair, and I hear the rings on the shower curtain slide, and I turn around. There's this old creepy hillbilly dude staring at me. So I did the only manly thing you can do in said situation.

I screamed like a little girl, and threw my shampoo at him.

freiman
10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
kaiote,

I assume that has something to do with the nature of the folks that built the castle.

The castle was built by folks from my home Larp, the SCA. It's one of the bigger, weirder, and most insular larps in the world.

But, the SCA requires rigid knee protection, almost always Heavy boiled leather, metal, or plastic, covering the entire knee, so, when they built a castle to play in, they were thinking about their own rules.

I am assuming that the gravel ground cover is somehow either cheap or really low maintenance, which would be why they used it.

Yeah, it hurts to fight on your knees in the gravel. It hurts do do ANYTHING on your knees there.

Given that, you should be super duper, especially sweet to any lady that had any sort of sex with you in the castle.

I mean, flowers really don't cut it. Jewelry at the very least. Gravel is much worse than rug burn.

f

kaiote
10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Hey Freiman..

Actually, I'm a Trimarian.. Just happened to be at an Amtgard event at the same site. Haven't been to Pennsic because my daughters birthday clears me out of funds that time of year.

The rocks are great for drainage, and keep the earthwork from eroding away from the walls they support. And I was wearing my leg protection, but hard plastic or no, that chunky gravel finds its way.

All after hours.. activities.. were handled in a standing up sorta way..

And yeah.. I've got my CoTT kit in the planning stage for when I can go :)